Chicken & Veg Pie
A delicious chicken pie with carrots, peas and celery. Use chicken stock instead of the water if you like just watch you don't use too much liquid
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 60g butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 225g cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) full fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Roll out one piece of pastry and place in a greased 20cm pie dish and set aside.
- Place 1/2 of the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the water and stock cubes, bring mixture to the boil, then add in the potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the chicken and flour. Add the milk and heat through. Stir the chicken mixture into the vegetable mixture and cook until thickened. Add fresh herbs. Pour mixture into the unbaked pastry case. Roll out the top piece of pastry and place on top of pie.
- Flute edges and make 4 slits in the top to let out steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees C and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.