Red Wine & Garlic Lamb Shanks
These fabulously tender lamb shanks are bound to please your loved ones.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 cup (160ml) red wine
- 700ml bottle Italian cooking sauce
- 600g Sebago (brushed) potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) low-fat milk, warmed
- 250g green beans
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, extra, crushed
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season flour with salt and pepper then coat lamb in flour, shaking off excess. Add to pan and cook, turning often, for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened slightly.
- Increase heat to high and add wine to pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cooking sauce and bring to a simmer. Add lamb shanks to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1-1 1/2 or until lamb is very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain well, mash and beat in milk. Steam beans. Combine parsley, lemon and extra garlic.
- Divide lamb shanks and sauce among serving bowls. Top with parsley mixture. Serve with mashed potato and beans.