Steak with mushroom ragout
This steak with mushroom sauce is a great for an easy weeknight meal, and good too for a simple dinner with friends.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients / serves 4
- 4 Sunnyside sirloin steaks
- 30 g butter
- 500 g mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 300 ml thickened cream
- potatoes and green beans to serve
- Brush each sirloin steak lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the char-grill pan to hot before adding the meat.
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn steaks once only. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs. Rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm.
- While steaks are cooking, add the butter and mushrooms to a frypan and cook until softened. Add cream and simmer until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 2 minutes before serving.
- Serve steaks with a spoonful of mushroom ragout, boiled potatoes and steamed green beans.
- Use a mix of mushrooms such as Swiss brown, button, oyster, enoki and shiitake.
- You can also barbecue the steaks for this recipe, use either the char-grill plate or flat-plate. They can also be pan-fried or grilled.
- Best beef cuts for char-grilling: fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin, T-bone, rump.