Tips for great crackling
- Pork roast of your choice approx. 2kg
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Boil up the kettle (full to capacity), place leg of pork on a trivet over your sink & pour the boiling hot water all over the pork.
- Dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Liberally oil & massage into the skin.
- Sprinkle with salt - you don't need too much.
- Place pork onto a roasting trivet - which keeps it away from any juices and helps the underside to become really crisp too.
- For at least the first hour of cooking, the temp of the oven has to be really really high - 220DegC (make sure your windows are open, especially if you open the oven door, or your smoke alarm/s will sound off!!
- After an hour, reduce temp to around 185DegC & continue cooking to desired 'doneness'.
- Remove roast from the pan and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes in a warm place. Do not 'wrap' the roast or you'll steam the crackling and it will lose some of it's crispness
- Deglaze the pan with either stock, water or wine... bring to a simmer and reduce to create delicious gravy/jus
The boiling water shrinks the skin from the scoring allowing the heat, oil & salt to penetrate, aiding the crackling process no end! enjoy!!!